Category Archives: Uncategorized

Baynton Hill Neighbors Meeting – April 4, 2017

Baynton Hill Neighbors Meeting – April 4, 2017

 

Neighbors present: Kim, Carol, Rick, Joe, Lindsay

Topics:

Guest speakers at meetings

Neighborhood clean up

Forming a coalition of community groups

 

Guest speakers at meetings

  • Bring politicians to meetings
    • Senator Haywood’s staff had “reached out” recently, we will follow up
    • Sharif Street is also close but not actually our geographic area
    • Kim is ready to go to Trump!
  • We need to have clear requests/demands/issues to present so we’re not just hearing lip service, and instead we can receive actual support
    • Continue brainstorming through email, and have a meeting in May to prepare our thoughts more
    • Some issues so far that folks may want to discuss with a politician are: mystery construction on Church Lane, street trash, Boys and Girls Club, Rufe St dumping, unlicensed group homes, overgrown brush near Wister Station

Neighborhood clean up

  • Saturday, April 8 from 9-2
  • Joe and Rick are picking up supplies
  • Ross should have a contact for SEPTA who sent volunteers out previously

Forming a coalition of neighborhood groups

  • To have more power as community members
  • Idea on the table for a while, and has been discussed a bit with other groups
  • Such as… SOLO, Penn Knox, PANA, Wakefield 49ers

 

NEXT MEETING: Tuesday, June 6th

Pre-meeting to prepare for attendance of a politician: tentatively Tuesday, May 2

Meeting Notes – February 7, 2017

Baynton Hill Neighbors Meeting – February 7, 2017

 

Neighbors present: Kathy, Priscilla, Rick, Joe, Lindsay

 

Topics and announcements:

Tree Philly tree giveaway event

Boys & Girls Club redevelopment proposal

Wister House and Little Wakefield House historic nominations

Unpermitted work next to community garden

Spring neighborhood clean up

Ideas for a stronger neighbors group

Coffee shop at GFS

Guest speaker at next meeting

 

Tree giveaway

  • Organizations can host tree giveaways for their neighborhoods, receive $500 and some support to coordinate the event. Might be too much work for BHN, and may not be able to distribute enough trees.
  • Wondering if they are yard trees only or street trees too? Could we plant a bunch of trees along Rufe St. to prevent dumping?

 

Boys & Girls Club

  • There is a proposal floating around to build a hockey rink at the Boys & Girls Club on the 100 block of West Penn
  • Neighbors attending a Penn Knox meeting oppose the hockey rink at this location and want to push for it to be built elsewhere
  • Neighborhood concerns are the removal of the existing field which gets used often, narrow street/access issues, the need to run a driveway through the community garden, and general improper use of a quaint neighborhood street
  • Proponents may be seeking to recreate fond childhood memories and provide an opportunity for kids
  • Developer has a demolition permit already from Zoning but not from Building, so the Historic Commission still has an opportunity to object which would halt the project

 

Wister and Little Wakefield House Historic Nominations

 

Unpermitted work next to community garden

  • Construction work happening in the lot next to the Church Ln. Community Garden, on Church between Baynton and Wakefield
  • Cleared trees, and have built onto the structure that was there
  • Possibly are mixing biodiesel? Properly? Stuff being dumped onto ground, we don’t know if it’s hazardous.
  • L & I hasn’t been helpful, said they couldn’t see that anything was happening
  • Has been difficult to reach owner

 

Spring Neighborhood Clean Up: Saturday, April 8

  • Lindsay and Priscilla will work out much of the details together, and bring to the next meeting which falls right before the clean up. Anyone else wants to organize?
  • Lindsay/Ross backyards as possible meeting spot
  • We want to make more of an event, have snacks and refreshments in meeting spot
  • Kathy will put us in touch with the Wakefield/Bringhurst neighbors group so we can potentially coordinate efforts

 

Ideas for a stronger neighborhood group

  • Create committees to disperse responsibility/power? Meet during the off months between BHN meetings
  • Vary the format and content of meetings

 

Announcements

  • The coffee shop at GFS is open to the public, just need to sign in at front desk: The Open Door (a branch of High Point), hours something like 8am-5:30pm currently, open til 7:30 maybe starting in April
  • The next meeting will have a guest speaker about saving money on taxes and water bills
  • Next meeting: Tuesday, April 4 @ 7:00, location TBD

Meeting Notes – December 6, 2016

Baynton Hill Neighbors Meeting – December 6, 2016

Neighbors present: Joe, Lindsay, Priscilla

Topics:

Waring House designation for Historic Register

Construction on Church Lane

Community Yard Sale

Redevelopment project at Cunningham Piano – petitioning City Council

Camera on Rufe St.

Waring House

  • Waring House at 48 E. Penn St. has been designated a historic building by the Philadelphia Historical Commission
  • Joe sent an application packet nominating the property for historic designation, with support from Germantown Historical Society. Joe also attended a public hearing.
  • Waring House LLC currently owns the property. The Phila Historic Commission sent letters to the address on file for the company, notifying of the application process, but they went to an empty building.
  • Historic designation requires that major work requiring permits, or intent of demolition, be approved by the Historical Commission
  • One of our neighbors, who runs the program giving out lunch to kids in the summer at Waring House, is just now learning about this and is concern to not have been notified or involved in the process.

Construction on Church Lane

  • The lot on Church between Baynton and Wakefield has construction occurring without permits posted
  • Joe called 311 and L & I should be sending out an inspector soon

Community Yard Sale

  • Priscilla’s idea to have a community yard sale in the spring
  • Maybe in front of Germantown Kitchen Garden to draw attention there, Priscilla is talking with Amanda about the idea
  • Could be used as a fundraiser for BHN if a small fee is charged to people who sell ($5)

Redevelopment project at Cunningham Piano

  • Ken Weinstein is redeveloping the building to include market rate apartments and restaurants MORE INFO HERE
  • Prior to last meeting, Joe wrote a letter to the City Planning Commission on behalf of BHN to convey disappointment about their disregard of the RCO (Registered Community Organization) process to hear and approve of developments, as well as the zoning re-mapping that was presented during the meeting without prior notice.
  • BHN will write a petition to City Council proposing alterations to the redevelopment plan, followed by a group effort to collect signatures.
  • Concerns brought up during our meeting to note in the petition:
    • Amount of parking for new additions of residential and commercial use
    • Proper trash disposal
    • Maintaining and giving new attention to historic features

Camera on Rufe St.

  • ?

Misc.

  • An idea from a local RCO to start a CDC for the local RCOs in order to acquire funding
  • An idea to join with the group on the other side of Germantown to form something like “Penn Knox Wister neighborhood”
  • Winter Market at Germantown Kitchen Garden this Saturday and Sunday, December 10 and 11 from 10am-3pm

Next meeting: Tuesday, February 7 @ 7:00, location TBD

Meeting Notes – October 11, 2016

Baynton Hill Neighbors Meeting – October 11, 2016

 

Neighbors present: Joe, Lindsay, Dorsey, Rick, Kathy

 

Topics:

Redevelopment project at Cunningham Piano – petitioning City Council

Camera on Rufe St.

Social event

Historic Germantown House Tour

 

Redevelopment project at Cunningham Piano

    • Cunningham Piano is moving their main store to King of Prussia, but they will maintain a small space at the current location
    • Ken Weinstein is redeveloping the building to include market rate apartments and restaurants MORE INFO HERE
    • Joe wrote a letter to the City Planning Commission on behalf of BHN to convey disappointment about their disregard of the RCO (Registered Community Organization, which BHN is) process to hear and approve of developments, as well as the zoning re-mapping that was presented during the meeting without prior notice.
    • BHN would like to create a petition to City Council that lays out what we would like to see in the zoning changes and redevelopment. Joe and Lindsay will work on this together and share with the group, followed by some group effort to collect signatures. Dates, deadlines aren’t known yet.
    • Concerns brought up during our meeting, that may be noted in the petition:
      • Amount of parking for new additions of residential and commercial use
        • discussion of underutilization of city-owned lots
        • unsure of parking lot on Gtown Ave being a good idea
        • potential for permit parking during particular hours
      • Proper space for trash disposal
      • Maintaining and giving new attention to historic features
        • the security grates/shutters
        • facade details
      • A concern about possibility of Section 8 housing (because Ken’s proposal doesn’t specifically say this won’t happen) was brought up, though there was disagreement amongst neighbors present about whether Section 8 is a problem.
      • Separate from the Cunningham development, an environmental justice issue of pollution from existing industrial uses impacting nearby residents. The zoning of this should be looked into.

 

  • Please email/call myself or Joe if you’d like to weigh in on the petition we write– if you have concerns, something to add, your thoughts are encouraged.

 

 

Camera on Rufe St.

  • Joe and Ross installed a deer hunting camera on Rufe St. in attempts to catch those who are illegally dumping there
  • The camera needs to be recalibrated to get better photos
  • Hasn’t actually been able to capture any license plates or anything

 

Social event for BHN

  • We were thinking to do something in tandem with the effort on Rufe St. but are nearing the end of the outdoor event season, so maybe a holiday potluck instead? Ideas are welcome. Please contact Lindsay if you’d like to help put something together.

 

Historic Germantown House Tour

  • Sunday, October 16 11:30-4:30 at various locations in Germantown, Mt. Airy, Chestnut Hill. More info here
  • Tickets: $30 in advance; $35 day of tour and are available by calling (215) 843-6333, or by visiting http://mtairylearningtree.org/historic-house-tour/.  On the day of the tour tickets may be purchased at Mount Airy Learning Tree, 6601 Greene Street, Philadelphia, PA 19119.

 

Misc.

  • Joe submitted a nomination for Waringhouse to be a historically designated site, will bring his letter to the next meeting
  • Idea to create a welcome letter for new residents

 

Next meeting: Tuesday, December 6 @ 7:00, location TBD

Meeting Notes – August 2, 2016

Neighbors present: Joe, Evelyn, Nate, Veronica (Goldie), Al, Janice, Lindsay, Ross, Rick

 

Topics:

A deer hunting camera to catch illegal dumping on Rufe St.

Waring House nominated for historic designation

Surveys and getting more neighbors involved

Stray cat program

 

Rufe St. camera

  • Ross purchased a deer hunting camera to put on Rufe St. up near the train tracks where illegal dumping is really bad
    • Joe and Ross have since installed the camera (see attached photo!)
    • Camera is battery operated, motion-sensing, takes photos that will be stored to SIM card so someone will have to check periodically
  • Joe has contacted Cindy Bass’ office a few times without much reply so we are on our own to solve the problem
  • Idea to contact one of the news stations

 

Waring House

  • Joe completing paperwork to nominate the property for historic designation, will write a letter of support for the nomination from the neighbors group
  • Neighbors are concerned about poor and worsening condition of the property
  • Currently is used as a site to provide free meals for children and historically has been a more active community center

 

Neighbor involvement

  • Lindsay distributed and emailed surveys for interested neighbors to complete to find new ways of coming together (link is still available in the email)
  • We are again wondering where our block captains are at, who are they, how do we get them to meetings?
    • If you know who your block captain is, see if they’ll come out!
    • If anyone wants to become a block captain, Joe or Lindsay can send you the application through the city
  • Al made note that “canvassing,” getting out and talking to your neighbors is the best way to get the word out and increase the involvement
  • Would like to organize a community event for September– idea to do this on Rufe St. to make more of a statement
  • Idea to do reminder phone calls or even provide a call-in option for meetings (like conference calling)
  • Evelyn mentioned a website called everyblock.com

 

Stray cat program

  • ACCT shelter has a program where you can arrange to have stray cats picked up, taken to the shelter where they will be spayed/neutered, vaccinated, flea treated, and then returned back to where they were
  • The goal is to prevent more breeding of strays, but the shelter doesn’t have room for all the cats so they bring them back to where their “friends” are
  • Call: (215) 913-6013
  • Email: philadelphiacats@bestfriends.org
  • Website: bestfriends.org/straycats
  • Lindsay has many extra door hangers with info… if you’d like to keep one let her know

 

NEXT MEETING: TUESDAY, OCTOBER 4th 7PM… LOCATION TO BE DETERMINED